The Xiaomi Mi Mix 3 has finally been launched at an official event in Beijing. The device boasts cutting-edge futuristic tech with a full view display with slider design. These features come as no shock to the public, however, due to the unstoppable leaks and rumours prior to the launch.
Causing waves in the industry on multiple front, the device hosts a bevy of exclusive features. Along with the slider, the Mi Mix 3 is also among the first and few to offer 5G and 93.4% screen-to-body-ratio. It also offers a 10GB RAM variant which is the largest RAM ever offered in a smartphone.
Design and Display:
The Mi Mix 3 offers a prominent, sleek design with extremely minimized bezels, little-to-no chin, and a 6.39-inch FHD+ AMOLED 1080 x 2340 resolution 19.5:9 ratio display.
Xiaomi achieved this by adopting the slider design as seen in the OPPO Find X. The company has differed from the motor-driven Find X slider slightly, however. In the Mi Mix 3’s version, users will instead have to slide the camera out themselves with their thumb. Users can even pick cool sounds to act as sound effects when the camera is slid out.
The device boasts a body that feels just as good as it looks. It comprises of 4-sided curved ceramic placed atop a 7-series aluminium frame. The fingerprint sensor is placed at the back and also holds a dedicated button for the Xiao AI voice assistant.
Hardware and Storage:
The Mi Mix 3 houses the latest Snapdragon 845 chipset, up to 10 GB RAM and will be 5G enabled. The 5G variant however will not be available until the first quarter of 2019.
The device will be powered by a 3200 mAh battery with 10W wireless charging. An original wireless charger will be provided by Xiaomi in the box as well.
Camera and Software:
Expected to make big waves in the market, the smartphone’s camera has a DxOMark score of 108 (photo). It is said to be similar to the Mi Mix 2S’s camera setup but with changes in algorithm.
The Mi Mix 3 offers dual cameras for both the front and back. There is a 12MP+12MP AI Dual Rear camera and a 24MP+2MP Dual Front camera with Selfie-light.
The device can also record super slow motion videos with 960fps and 4K videos at 60fps.
It is unclear as of yet which Android version the device will offer, many hope for the Android 9.0 Pie.
The slider on the phone will also have multi-function purposes. It will allow users to attend calls, access shortcuts, launch the camera, etc.
Price and Availability:
The Mi Mix 3 comes in 3 colours – Onyx Black, Jade Green, Saphire Blue – and is expected to enter Pakistan in a few months.
Prices for the variants are as follows:
- 6/128 GB — CNY 3,299 (~Rs. 64,000)
- 8/128 GB — CNY 3,599 (~Rs. 69,000)
- 8/256 GB — CNY 3,999 (~Rs. 77,000)
- 10/256 GB “Palace Museum Edition” — CNY 4,999 (~Rs. 96,000)
Mi Mix 3 Specifications:
- CPU: 4x 2.8 GHz Kryo 385 Gold & 4x 1.8 GHz Kryo 385 Silver
- GPU: Adreno 630
- Chipset: Qualcomm Snapdragon 845
- OS: Android 8.1 Oreo-based MIUI 9.5
- Supported Networks: 2G, 3G, 4G, 5G
- Ceramic body with 7-series aluminum frame
- Magnetic slider design
- Fingerprint scanner (rear)
- Display: 6.39-inch AMOLED 19.5:9 display with Full HD+ (2340 x 1080) resolution
- RAM: 6/8/10 GB
- Internal: 128/256 GB
- Card slot: No
- Primary: 12 MP + 12 MP, 2x optical zoom, dual pixel phase detection autofocus, 4-axis OIS, dual-LED dual-tone flash, 4K@60fps
- Secondary: 24 MP + 2 MP, depth sensor, slider, LED selfie flash
- Connectivity: NFC, Wi-Fi 802.11 b/g/n/ac, Bluetooth 5, GPS, Type-C, Dual GPS
- Battery: 3,200 mAh, 10W Wireless charging, QC 4.0+
- Price: 6/128 (~Rs. 64,000), 8/128 (~Rs. 69,000), 8/256 (~Rs. 77,000), 10/256 (~Rs. 96,000)